Pastor Mike's thoughts

Thoughts on today's Christian world and how it fits into secular society.

Friday, June 23, 2006

When Trouble Comes

Life! It sure can be a real ride sometimes. I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't hear someone who is going through a tragedy in their life. Sometimes the things I hear just break my heart. I'm asked what they should do, but the real question is what should they do. They should turn to the Lord.

From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
—Psalm 61:2

I've come to realize that when I'm seeking to walk in the will of God and when I'm engaging in the things of God, then I can expect opposition from the enemy of God, the devil.

Sometimes afflictions don't come into our lives because of our disobedience, but just the opposite. Our afflictions, our troubles, and our hardships can come because we are obedient to God.

Remember Job and all of the hardship that came upon him because he was a perfect and an upright man, a man who feared God and turned away evil.

Then there was Nehemiah, who went out to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem that had been torn down and were lying in rubble. God had directed him to do this, but as soon as he started this great work for the Lord, a man named Sanballat opposed him and threatened him.

What did Nehemiah do? Did he get a restraining order against Sanballat? Did he immediately stop what he was doing and run and hide? No. Instead, Nehemiah did what James says we should do when we are afflicted or when we're in trouble. He prayed. He said, “Hear, O our God, for we are despised; turn their reproach on their own heads, for they have provoked You to anger before the builders” (Nehemiah 4:4–5). Nehemiah cried out to God and brought his problems to Him.

As 1 Peter 5:7 reminds us, “Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” So when trouble comes, pray. Bring your troubles, your problems, and your cares to God. Stop trying to do it on your own. That's what Jesus died for.

Remember where to go when you've had enough
Pastor Mike






















*It's Not A Cat*


A small, four-legged, fur-bearing extortionist.

A wildlife control expert impersonator.

An un-programmable animal.

A four footed allergen.

A hair relocation expert.

A treat-seeking missile.

A lap-warmer with a built-in buzzer.

A small, furry lap fungus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home