Pastor Mike's thoughts

Thoughts on today's Christian world and how it fits into secular society.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Giving God His due


It occurred to me one day that God can do more in one second than man can do in a thousand years, or a million years.

Trying to do things with our own strength and wisdom can be time-wasting.

Many successful people have recognized in their memoirs that whenever they came to an stand-still in their work and were completely baffled, they looked to wisdom from the Lord.

Abraham Lincoln once told an ivery good newspaper friend, Noah Brooks, "I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go."

This was also true in the life of the famous inventor of the telegraph, Samuel F. B. Morse (1791-1872). In an interview, he was once asked, "Professor Morse, when you were making your experiments at the university, did you ever come to a standstill, not knowing what to do next?"

"I've never discussed this with anyone, so the public knows nothing about it. But now that you ask me, I'll tell you frankly -- I prayed for more light."

"And did God give you the wisdom and knowledge you needed?"

"Yes, He did," said Morse. "That's why I never felt I deserved the honors that came to me from America and Europe because of the invention associated with my name. I had made a valuable application of the use of electrical power, but it was all through God's help. It wasn't because I was superior to other scientists. When the Lord wanted to bestow this gift on mankind, He had to use someone. I'm just grateful He chose to reveal it to me."

In view of these facts, it's not surprising that the inventor's first message over the telegraph -- the very first transmitted message in history -- was: "What hath God wrought!"

Every time you face a serious problem, look for wisdom from above. And when the answer comes, always be sure to thank God and give Him all the glory.

"If you need wisdom -- if you want to know what God wants you to do -- ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not get mad because you asked. But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. They can't make up their minds. They waver back and forth in everything they do (James 1:5-8, NLT).

Knowing that God gives us all
Pastor Mike









Legal Advice . . .

The young lawyer was desperate for business, and was happy to be appointed by the court to defend an indigent defendant.
The judge ordered the young attorney, "You are to confer with the defendant in the hallway, and give him the best legal advice you can."

After a time, the lawyer re-entered the courtroom alone.

When the judge asked where the defendant had gone, the attorney replied, "You asked me to give him good advice. I found out that he was guilty . . .

. . so I told him to split."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home