Pastor Mike's thoughts

Thoughts on today's Christian world and how it fits into secular society.

Friday, October 13, 2006

A change of heart

I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of
flesh. Ezekiel 11:19

God promises us a heart transplant. God promises to change us. Our stone hearts will be removed and in their place will be put a heart of flesh.

A heart of stone is a dead heart. It is closed to honest, intimate relationships.

A heart of stone is unmerciful with itself and with others. But we do become attached to our hearts of stone. And we find ourselves fearing God's promised transplant.

Our stone hearts have one thing in their favor - they allow us to feel strong and to appear strong to others.

A stone heart is a protected heart. It seems invulnerable. You cannot wound a heart of stone.

God's offer of a heart transplant is a promise of life.

A heart of flesh is alive. Only a flesh heart can feel joy. Only a flesh heart can celebrate.
Only a heart of flesh can give and receive love. But, the vulnerability of a heart of flesh scares us. A flesh heart does not seem as well protected as a heart of stone. It can feel joy, but it can also feel pain.

You can wound a heart of flesh.

God promises to change us. God will remove our hearts of stone and give us hearts of flesh.

If you find yourself suffering froma hard heart, pray this prayer:

I like the safety of my stone heart, Lord.
But it is hard, cold, dead.
It is a heartless heart, bloodless, lifeless.
Remove it from me.
I want a heart of flesh, Lord.
I want life.
But I am afraid.
Give me the courage to say 'yes'
to your promise of life today.
Remove my heart of stone and
give me a heart of flesh.

Praying that we all become more loving,
Pastor Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home