Pastor Mike's thoughts

Thoughts on today's Christian world and how it fits into secular society.

Friday, May 26, 2006

No Standing Still

Beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. —2 Peter 3:17–18

Backslider is a harsh word. When we think of a backslider, we think of someone who has really blown it, whose life is in the pit. But did you know that you can come to church every Sunday and still be a backslider? That’s because backsliding is a matter of the heart.

Now you might say, "I still go to church, when I can find the time. I still read the Bible, if I get around to it. And I still obey God, unless it conflicts with what I want. But I wouldn’t describe it as backsliding. I’m just not as active spiritually as I once was."

Consider this: the moment that you cease to progress as a Christian is the moment when the process of backsliding will potentially begin. When you cease to go forward, it’s only going to be a matter of time until you start going backward.

We as Christians constantly need to be aware of falling away and backsliding. The Bible warns that in the last days there will be many who will fall away. I have to keep my guard up, because if I am not moving forward as a Christian, I will be moving backward. There is no standing still. It would be like parking your car on a hill and putting it in neutral. In the same way, if I put my Christian life in neutral, if I stop seeking to learn and grow as a believer, I will naturally go the wrong way. I will go backwards. I will go down. Don’t lean on your own understanding, keep the faith and keep eternal life.







Praying that we all remain steadfast
Pastor Mike

Airline Rage . . . .

As a guy takes his seat on an airplane, he is surprised to find a parrot strapped in next to him. After taking off, the flight attendant comes around to serve the passengers on the plane. The guy asks the flight attendant for a coffee and the parrot squawks: "And get ME a coke...NOW!"

The flight attendant, flustered by the parrot's attitude, brings back a coke for the parrot. However, she forgets the coffee for the guy.

As the guy points this out, the parrot drains his glass and screams:
"Get me another coke or I'll really create a scene!"

Quite upset, the attendant comes back shaking, with another coke, but still no coffee.

Irritated at her forgetfulness, the man decides to try the parrot's approach. "I've asked you twice for a coffee. Go and get it right now, or I'll create a scene that will make HIS look like a Victorian tea party!"

The next moment, both the guy and the parrot are grabbed and thrown out of the emergency exit by two burly security guards.

Hurtling towards earth, the parrot turns to him and says: . . . "You're pretty cheeky for a guy who can't fly!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home