Pastor Mike's thoughts

Thoughts on today's Christian world and how it fits into secular society.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Is this a God thing?

Key Verse: Proverbs 21:2, “Every man’s way is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the hearts.” (NAS)

I love the beginning of new things – a new school year, the beginning of a new season, and the start of a new year. Maybe it’s the chance to start fresh that appeals to me. Fresh starts must appeal to many people, for most of us have made New Year’s Resolutions at one time or another.

I’ve certainly had many good plans over the years. I’m going to read the Bible in a year… lead a Bible study in my neighborhood… have family devotions… exercise at least three times a week…improve my attitude… or many other resolutions that we all do every year.

These have all been good plans, but I’m learning that good plans are not necessarily God’s plans. I so easily think that if something is good, then surely God wants me to do it. For example, starting a new prayer ministry at church would be a great thing, but God wants us to consult Him first. Before we start making our own plans, God wants us to pray and to ask Him if it’s what He wants for us.

When we’re excited about an idea, it’s easy to get carried away and run full steam ahead with our own plans. Also, when we’re talented in a certain area, it’s easy to think, Surely God wants me to apply my talents in this situation. Or if we see a need, we think we’re the one who has to fill it.

There’s a good chance God will say, “Yes, go ahead.” But there’s also the chance that this is not the right time for you to take on something new. I see so many people today filling their schedules with way too much – too many good activities, which prevent us from walking in God’s plans. Sometimes our schedules are so full of our own plans that we just don’t have room for God’s plans.

So as this New Year begins, let’s adopt at least one New Year’s Resolution: Before committing to anything, let’s ask God; Is this a good thing or a God thing?

Praying that we all follow God's will this year,
Pastor Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home