Pastor Mike's thoughts

Thoughts on today's Christian world and how it fits into secular society.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Fix the leak

1 Peter 3:7 And grant her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life.

After watching as the marriages of numerous Christians disintegrate, I have come to some conclusions. One is that there is no such thing as a marriage blowout-only slow, small leaks. Like a tire that gradually loses air without the driver noticing, these marriages were allowed to slowly go flat. If someone checked the air pressure in the marriages he or she certainly didn't do anything to return them to acceptable, safe levels.

Every marriage is susceptible to leaks, and ours is no exception. The world lures my wife with glittery, false promises of fulfillment and true significance. If I fail to honor her and esteem her as a woman of distinction, it's just a matter of time before she will begin to wear down and look elsewhere for worth.

Following are a few techniques to honor your wife:

Learn the art of putting her on a pedestal. Capture your wife's heart by treating her with respect, tenderness and the highest esteem.

Recognize her accomplishments. Frequently I look into Carmen's eyes and verbally express my wonder at all she does. She wears many hats and is an amazingly hard worker. At other times, I stand back in awe of the woman of character she has become. Her steady walk with God is a constant stream of ministry to me.

Speak to her with respect. Without careful attention, your tongue can become caustic, searing and accusing. I work hard to honor Carmen. I'm not always as successful as I'd like to be, but I know that honor begins with an attitude.

Honor your wife by extending common courtesies. You may think that these little amenities were worthwhile only during courtship, but actually they are great ways to demonstrate respect and distinction over the long haul. Common courtesy is at the heart of servanthood; it says, "my life for yours." It bows before another to show esteem and dignity.

Why not increase the "air pressure" in your marriage today by honoring your wife?

Praying that we realize the commitment of marriage,
Pastor Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home